Jiann-Wen “Woody” Ju, Ph.D., P.E.
5750 Boelter Hall
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
University of California
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1593
Phone: (310) 206-1751
Fax: (310) 206-2222
Education and Experience
Post-Doctoral Fellow, (1986-87), University of California, Berkeley and Stanford University
Ph.D., (1986), University of California, Berkeley
M.S., (1983), University of California, Berkeley
My current research interests concern mechanics of materials and constitutive modelings of advanced engineering materials. In particular, I am interested in micromechanical damage mechanics of brittle composites, micromechanics of random heterogeneous elastic and inelastic fibrous and particulate composites, continuum elastoplastic damage mechanics, plasticity and viscoplasticity theories and computational algorithms, advanced constitutive modeling of materials, nonlinear computational mechanics, nondestructive and destructive testing, durability, reliability, sulfate attack, and construction defects. Applications can be made to plain and rebar/cable reinforced concrete, fiber reinforced concrete, cementitious composites, mortar and stucco, geological materials, advanced ceramics and ceramic composites, polymer composites, laminated composites, multi-layered materials, metals and metal matrix composites, nanomaterials, nanocomposites, biomaterials, human bones, and so on.In the treatment of micromechanical damage mechanics, I consider microcrack densities, orientations, sizes, locations, configurations, statistical aspects, interactions, fracture mechanics criteria, and evolutionary microcrack models. The effects of microcracks and their interactions on effective properties of brittle solids are investigated. Similarly, the microgeometry and interaction effects of fibers and particles in heterogeneous composites on overall effective properties of elastic and inelastic composites are studied. Rigorous local micromechanical solutions together with the volume/ensemble averaging procedures lead to innovative predictions of mechanical properties of composites. Materials science imaging is used to characterize microstructures.I also perform studies in nondestructive and destructive testing of concrete and stucco subject to sulfate and environmental attack; damage, fracture and failure of concrete components and systems; and construction defects (construction defect expert).
The continuum elastoplastic damage mechanics research involves the development of rigorous operator splitting methodology, constitutive integration equations, return mapping algorithms, parameter estimation, experimental validations, and consistent tangent operators for the finite element implementation. In computational mechanics, my research involves solution strategy for finite element methods, nonlinear frictional contact problems, strain softening damage and plasticity, and localization of deformation problems.
- Fellow ASME, Fellow ASCE, Fellow ACI, Fellow USACM, Fellow IACM
- Editor, International Journal of Damage Mechanics, Sage Publications (London, U.K.). (2011 ISI JCR Impact Factor = 1.93)
- 1000 Talents National Program (Short-Term) Distinguished Chair Professor
- Tongji University Distinguished Chair Professor
- Chang-Jiang Scholar Chair Professor
- Tongji University Chair Professor
- Kwang-Hua Chair Professor
- Guangxi University Distinguished Chair Professor
- Editorial Board, Acta Mechanica, Springer Publications (Wien, Austria).
- Editor and Editorial Board, Journal of Composites, Hindawi Publishing Co. New York City, USA)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Nanomechanics and Micromechanics, ASCE (Reston, Virginia, USA).
Selected Honors and Awards
- Editorial Board, Advances in Structural Engineering (Journal), Jan. 2014-present (Multi-Science Publishing Co., U.K.).
- 2013 ICACM Award, Dec. 2013 (ISCM-4 and APCOM 2013 in Singapore).
- Editorial Board, Frontiers of Structural and Civil Engineering, January 2013-present (Springer Publications).
- National 1000 Talents Program (Short-Term) Distinguished Chair Professor, 2013-2017, Ministry of Central Organization and Tongji University (Shanghai).
- Tongji University Distinguished Chair Professor, 2013-2017 (Shanghai).
- Editor and Editorial Board, Journal of Composites, October 2012-present (Hindawi Publishing Co., New York City, USA).
- Guangxi University Distinguished Chair Professor, 2013-2016 (Nanning).
- IACM Fellow Award, the International Association for Computational Mechanics, July 2010.
- Election as Member of the General Council of the International Association for Computational Mechanics (IACM), July 2009-present.
- Tongji University Chair Professor, 2011-2013 (Shanghai, China).
- Chang-Jiang Scholar Chair Professor, 2009-2012, Ministry of Education (China), and Guangxi University (Nanning).
- Kwang-Hua Chair Professor, 2009-2010, Tongji University (Shanghai, China).
- Associate Editor and Editorial Board, ASCE Journal of Nanomechanics and Micromechanics, Jan. 2010-present (American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, Virginia, USA).
- ACI Fellow Award, the American Concrete Institute, Nov. 2008.
- Invited Visiting Chair Professor, LMT Cachan, ENS Cachan/CNRS and the University of Paris VI, France, AY 2008-2009.
- Invited Visiting Professor, City University of Hong Kong, November to December 2009, under the Academic Exchange Fund of the City University of Hong Kong.
- 2008 Publication Award of Merit, the Structural Engineers Association ofIllinois, June 2008, for a paper published in the ACI Structural Journal, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 601-610, Sep./Oct. 2007, by the American Concrete Institute.
- Editorial Board, Acta Mechanica (An International Journal), March 2008-present (Springer Publications, Wien, Austria).
- Editorial Board, Journal of Chongqing University (English Edition), April 2008-present (Chongqing, China).
- Editorial Board, Book Series in Computational and Experimental Methods in Structures, June 2008—present, Imperial College Press & World Scientific Publishing Co., USA, UK and Singapore.
- Engineering Panel Member, Research Grant Council of Hong Kong, Sep. 2008- present.
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Institute of Mechanics, July-August 2007.
- Election as General Council Member and Executive Council Member, the International
Chinese Association for Computational Mechanics, July 2007-2015.
- Semi-plenary Speaker, the 2013 Chinese Congress on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Shaanxi State Hotel, Xi’an, China, August 19, 2013.
- Plenary Speaker, the First International Conference on Damage Mechanics (ICDM-1), at Serbian Chamber of Engineers, Belgrade, Serbia, June 24-27, 2012.
- Keynote Speaker, Symposium on “Fundamental Theory for the Performance Evolution and Sensing Control of Urban Metro Structures”, 2012 International Conference on Computational and Experimental Engineering and Sciences (ICCES’12), Minoa Palace Resort, Crete, Greece, May 1, 2012.
- Semi-plenary Speaker, the 3rd International Symposium on Computational Mechanics (ISCM-3),
and the 2nd International Conference on Computational Structural Engineering (CSE-2), National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, December 5, 2011.
- Keynote Speaker, Symposium on Multiscale Damage and Failure Mechanics of Engineering Materials, 11th U.S. National Congress on Computational Mechanics, Hilton Minneapolis, Minneapolis, Minnesota, July 25, 2011.
- Keynote Speaker, Symposium on Multiscale Damage and Failure Mechanics of Engineering Materials, 9th World Congress on Computational Mechanics and 4th Asian Pacific Congress on Computational Mechanics, Sydney Convention Center, Sydney, Australia, July 20, 2010.
- Plenary Speaker, the 2nd International Symposium on Computational Mechanics, and the 12th International Conference on the Enhancement and Promotion of Computational Methods in Engineering and Science, Hong Kong (Holiday Inn Gold Mile Hotel) and Macau (MGM Grand Hotel), November 30, 2009.
- Keynote Speaker, Symposium on Multiscale Damage and Failure Mechanics of Engineering Materials, 10th U.S. National Congress on Computational Mechanics, Greater Columbus Convention Center, Columbus, Ohio, July 18, 2009.
- Keynote Speaker, Symposium on Multiscale Damage and Failure Mechanics of Engineering Materials, 8th World Congress on Computational Mechanics, Venice Lido Convention Center, Lido, Venice, Italy, July 3, 2008.
- Semi-plenary Speaker, International Symposium on Computational Mechanics, Beijing, China, July 30, 2007.
- Keynote Speaker, Symposium on Multiscale Damage and Failure Mechanics, 9th U.S. National Congress on Computational Mechanics, Hyatt Regency San Francisco, July 25, 2007.
- USACM Fellow Award, the U.S. Association for Computational Mechanics, Feb. 2007.
- Principal Co-Chair of ASME Award Endowments for the “Thomas J.R. Hughes AMD Young Investigator Award” and the “Theodore Belytschko Applied Mechanics Award”, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2006-2007.
- Elections as USACM Member-at-Large and Executive Committee Member, the U.S. Association for Computational Mechanics, Dec. 2006-2010, and July 2010-2014.
- ASCE Fellow Election, the American Society of Civil Engineers, Dec. 2006.
- Editor, International Journal of Damage Mechanics, Sep. 2006-present (Sage Publications, London, U.K.).
- ASME Fellow Election, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Feb. 1998.
- 1997 Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize, the American Society of Civil Engineers, 1997. (A national distinguished mid-career achievement award)
- 1991 Presidential Young Investigator Award (1991-98), National Science Foundation and White House.
- 1991 Alfred Rheinstein Faculty Award, (with $10,000 research award), School of Engineering and Applied Science, Princeton University, May 1991.
- Editorial Advisory Board, International Journal of Damage Mechanics, since 1991.
- Associate Technical Editor, ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 1995—2001.
- Associate Technical Editor, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 1995-2002.
- Citation in Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, by Marquis Who’s Who, 2nd Ed., 1994; 4th Ed., 1998; 5th Ed., 2000-2001; 6th Ed., 2002-2003; 7th Ed., 2003-2004; 8th Ed., 2005-2006; 9th Ed., 2006-2007; 10th Ed., 2008-2009.
- Citation in Who’s Who in America, by Marquis Who’s Who, 59th Ed., 2005; 60th Ed., 2006; 61st Ed., 2007; 62nd Ed., 2008.
- Citation in Who’s Who in the West, by Marquis Who’s Who, 29th Ed., 2002; 30th Ed., 2003; 31st Ed., 2004; 32nd Ed., 2005; 33rd Ed., 2006; 34th Ed., 2007.
- Citation in Who’s Who in Finance and Business, by Marquis Who’s Who, 35th Ed., 2006-2007; 36th Ed., 2008-2009.
- Citation in Who’s Who in the World, by Marquis Who’s Who, 18th Ed., 2001.
- Citation in Who’s Who in American Education, by Marquis Who’s Who, 6th Ed., 2004-2005.
- Citation in 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century, by International Biographical Center, 1st Ed., 2002 (England).
- Citation in Strathmore’s Who’s Who, by Strathmore Directories Ltd., 2003-2004 Ed., 2004-2005 Ed., 2005-2006 Ed.
- Invited participant, 1998 Symposium on Frontiers of Engineering, U.S. National Academy of Engineering, Sep. 17-19, 1998.
- 2000 ACI-James-Instruments Award for Research in Nondestructive Testing, American Concrete Institute, March 2000. (faculty advisor to the winning research paper by Lisheng Weng and J.W. Ju.)
- Principal author, LS-DYNA Material Model 25, Geologic Cap model and concrete model since 1988.
- Principal author, MSC/DYTRAN Material Model, Geologic Cap model and concrete model since 1988.
- Chairman of American Concrete Institute Committee 446 on “Fracture Mechanics” (2004-2008).