Professional Affiliations and Service – Robert E. Kayen, Ph.D., P.E.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)
- Geoengineering Extreme Event Reconnaissance (GEER) Association
- Seimological Society of America (SSA)
- Editorial Board, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 1997-2005.
- Steering Committee-Geoengineering Extreme Event Reconnaissance (GEER) Association
- ASCE Publications Committee, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 1997-2005
- ASCE Technical Council on Lifeline Earthquake Engineering, Ports and Harbors Committee, 2000-Present.
- CALFED Bay-Delta Program – CMARP Levee Integrity Team
- US-Japan Workshop on Cooperative Research for Urban Earthquake Disaster Mitigation. Co-Chair with Prof. Y. Tanaka, Kobe University
- USGS, Gas Hydrate and Sediment Testing Laboratory (GHASTLI) External Review Committee, 1998-1999 (Chairman)
- Scientific Committee, 11th International Conference on Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering (11th ICSDEE)
- Scientific Committee, 3rd International Conference on Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering (3rd ICEGE)
- Conference Committee, 8th US National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, San Francisco, CA April 2006
- Conference Committee-Session Chair, Sixth International Conference on Case Histories in Geotechnical Engineering, 2008