Graduate Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

What if my GRE or TOEFL/IELTS scores arrive after the application deadline?

If we receive your test scores after the application deadline, your application will be considered late. Tardiness of an application or application materials may delay its review, and affect its eligibility for financial aid and consideration for admission.

Can I submit test scores (GRE and/or TOEFL/IELTS) prior to the application deadline and submit new scores after the application deadline? What about submitting other updated application materials after the deadline?

You are welcome to send scores after the deadline, but we cannot guarantee that a decision will not be made prior to the receipt of application materials received after the application deadline.

Am I eligible for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver? 

Please see the Graduate Division English Requirement website for an extensive explanation on TOEFL/IELTS requirements and exemptions.

How do I apply for departmental funding?

We do not have a separate application process for departmental funding opportunities. All applicants are automatically considered for Teaching Assistantships, Research Assistantships, and departmental fellowships. 

The online application also has a section labeled “Fellowship Application” where you may choose to be considered for UCLA Graduate Division Fellowships. Visit the Graduate Division website to learn more about those fellowship opportunities. 

You can also find information about University and external funding opportunities on the UCLA Graduate Division’s funding website

Can I apply to start in the Winter or Spring term? 

We strongly encourage you to apply for the Fall term. Many pre-requisite courses are only offered in the Fall term and may be unavailable to students who start in the Winter or Spring terms.

Can I apply if I do not have an undergraduate degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering? 

Applicants without an undergraduate degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering may be admitted to our graduate programs. Typically, these applicants have related degrees that share requisite coursework. We strongly encourage applicants to complete the requisite coursework for their intended graduate degree program before applying. 

Requisite coursework requirements can be found in our Program Requirements and course descriptions may be found in the Catalog.

If you have additional questions about requisite coursework, please email .

Can I apply for an M.S. program if I already have an M.S. degree? 

The University of California discourages the duplication of advanced degrees. If you are applying for a second academic graduate degree that is at the same level as or at a lower level than the graduate degree you already hold, you will be required to show compelling cause. If you are admitted for a second graduate degree, you will be held to the same degree requirements and University regulations regarding fees, registration, examinations, advancement to candidacy, residency, etc. Courses already applied to any earlier graduate degree cannot be applied to the second degree.

I am a current M.S./Ph.D. student. Can I transfer to your institution? 

We do not have a separate transfer admission process at the graduate level; all applicants submit the same application. 

M.S. applicants should also refer to the M.S. transfer coursework policy by reviewing the Standards and Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA.

I have already taken some graduate level coursework. Will I be able to transfer the coursework if admitted to the M.S. program? 

Through petition, courses completed in graduate status on other UC campuses may apply to master’s programs at UCLA, provided they were not used toward a previous degree. Such courses may fulfill up to one-half of the total course requirement, one-half of the graduate course requirement, and one-third of the academic residence requirement. A maximum of two courses completed with a minimum grade of ‘B’ in graduate status at institutions other than UC may apply to UCLA master’s programs. Two courses would be the equivalent of eight quarter units or five semester units. They may not fulfill the minimum five-graduate-course requirement or the 8 Standards and Proceduresfor Graduate Study at UCLA academic residence requirement. The approval of the Graduate Division and the student’s major department is required on a petition for transfer of credit. Courses taken for any other degree previously awarded at UCLA or another institution, and courses taken before the award of the bachelor’s degree may not be applied toward a graduate degree at UCLA. Correspondence courses are not applicable to graduate degrees.

How long does it take to earn an M.S. degree? 

Most students complete the M.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering program in one year. Our M.S. program of study involves completing at least nine graduate and upper division courses. Most students take three courses every quarter.

How long does it take to earn a Ph.D. degree? 

Most students complete the Ph.D. Civil and Environmental Engineering program in 4 to 6 years. Applicants who are admitted into the Ph.D. program and do not already hold an M.S. degree are required to complete and earn an M.S. degree within the first two years (6 quarters) of enrollment. These students would then be expected to complete and earn their Ph.D. within the 5 years (15 quarters). Applicants who are admitted into the Ph.D. program and already hold an M.S. degree are expected to complete and earn their Ph.D. within 5 years (15 quarters).