Two UCLA Civil Engineering students, Brigid Ahern (BS) and Honor Fisher (MS) have received scholarships from the American Council of Engineering Companies, California. The Press Release can be read below!
For Immediate Release
May 13, 2021
ACEC California Announces 2021-22 Scholarship Foundation Recipients
The American Council of Engineering Companies, California today announced the recipients of its 2021-22 Scholarship Foundation awards. ACEC California’s Scholarship Foundation awards annual scholarships to accomplished graduate or undergraduate college students working toward a degree in engineering or land surveying, with the top award recipients nominated to apply for the ACEC National scholarship competition.
“This scholarship money is so important for our engineers and I want to commend these nine students for their hard work and dedication,” said Assemblymember Freddie Rodriguez (D-Pomona). “California would not be the incredible state it is today without our civil and environmental engineers. I know your contributions, through student work and your future careers, will elevate us to new heights and achievements. These smart investments in the future of California are exactly why ACEC is a recognized leader in our state.”
In total, ACEC California awarded a total of $53,000 in scholarship funds to 9 students: four graduate students and five undergraduate students. This year’s scholarship recipients have demonstrated notable achievement in their respective areas of study and a strong interest in
pressing policy issues facing California, including creating a database of over 5,000 data points for field collection; assisting with bridge calculations and design; and providing structural analyses for beams and lateral analysis for shear walls and foundation design.
“ACEC California members are proud to help support the bright and promising careers of these students,” said Brad Diede, Executive Director of ACEC California. “As California moves forward to strengthen its transportation, water and housing infrastructure, it is important to help invest in developing the next generation of engineering and land surveying professionals.”
Money will be given to the students at the beginning of the Fall 2021 semester.
The 2021-22 Scholarship Foundation award recipients are listed below:
1. Kelsey Garrett, Cal State Fullerton, pursuing a Master’s degree in Civil Engineering
2. Sean Low, CSU, Long Beach, pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering
3. Celeste Chan, Cal Poly Ponoma, pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
4. Victor Chen, Cal Poly Pomona, pursuing a Master’s degree in Civil Engineering
5. Francisco Ponce, Cal Poly Pomona, pursuing a Master’s degree in Environmental Engineering
6. Kirill Rogovoy, Cal Poly Ponoma, pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering
7. Cole Saenz, San Diego State University, pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering
8. Brigid Ahern, UCLA, pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering
9. Honor Fisher, UCLA, pursuing a Master’s degree in Civil Engineering