University of California Los Angeles

Research Program in Developing Earthquake Resilient Residential Communities

Click HERE to complete the application.


The UCLA Research Program in Developing Earthquake Resilient Residential Communities provides a summer research and graduate admission pathways program for students, with the goal of increasing diversity among graduate students who enroll in the Civil and Environmental Department at UCLA, with an emphasis in structural/earthquake engineering. It includes a 8-week residential research-training program that offers practical experience working on challenging problems related to quantifying and enhancing the seismic resilience of residential communities.

Participants will work under the guidance of Dr. Henry V. Burton and will be immersed in an academic research environment that engages students to pursue a career or advanced degree in structural engineering as either a practitioner or researcher who would contribute to the development, implementation, and deployment of such technologies in practice.

The program provides a $3,000 stipend and travel allowance in addition to covering room/board and program fees.


Applicants must be enrolled as an undergraduate student in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Preference will be given to students entering their junior or senior year.

How to Apply

Applicants must submit the following:

  1. The online application may be accessed HERE.
  2. Upload an unofficial copy of the applicant’s transcript to the online application.
  3. Upload a one-page personal statement that describes the applicant’s past, present, or future experiences or goals that demonstrate a commitment to conduct research in structural engineering to the online application.
  4. One letter of reference from a faculty member in the Civil Engineering Department at your undergraduate institution. Reference letters should be sent directly by the faculty to Professor Burton via email. The letter of reference must be received by Professor Burton to complete the application.


To learn more about the program, please contact Dr. Burton at UCLA ().


Direct link to application: