Professor Ertugrul Taciroglu was unanimously elected as a Fellow of the ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute. Fellows are identified as a distinguished group of Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI) members.
EMI awards Fellow membership to individual members based on accomplishments, achievements, or scholarship, as recognized by the Board of Governors. Engineering Mechanics Institute Fellows are recognized for their membership, participation, quality of work, involvement and publications.
Professor Taciroglu will be recognized at the 2015 EMI Conference Awards Banquet in June 2015.
The Engineering Mechanics Institute mission, as outlined on their website, is:
- to serve the engineering community through the development and application of engineering mechanics by anticipating and adapting to new challenges that will face tomorrow’s engineers;
- to create an environment that facilitates professional growth to ensure that these future challenges will be met;
- to establish a presence at the forefront of new thrusts of mechanics by promoting the most innovative developments in the field, regardless of the discipline of the ultimate user;
- to provide a home not only for those involved in the traditional disciplines, but also for those involved with emerging areas of mechanics; and
- to promote the interdependence of engineering mechanics and other disciplines by providing an interdisciplinary forum for researchers, practicing engineers, industry representatives, citizen groups, public officials and others.